Monday, June 11, 2012

An Early Father's Day

Mark will be traveling back from a friend's wedding next Sunday and missing out on his first Father's Day. So, we celebrated early! I didn't want him to miss out on his day to get pampered and call the shots (and this and his birthday are really the only days when he gets to be in charge).

I was happy we celebrated early because it was killing me to keep his present a secret! Since before I was even pregnant with Elaine, Mark talked about taking our baby on bike rides. I always replied to this dream, "not in the city your aren't!" But, Mark is a strong rider and obvioulsy he's just as concerend with Lainey's safety as I am and won't be taking her on crazy, busy streets without bike lanes. So, for Father's Day, I decided to suck up my phobia of strapping my darling daughter into a bike seat and let her take to the open road with her daddy. I bought her a bike helmet to present to Mark and am letting him choose the seat he wants (big shout out to the Mackie Love family for letting Mark take a test drive with Whistler this weekend). All this assumes Lainey will actually let us put the helmet her on her head. Attempts this weekend resulted in screaming wrestling matches.

In addition to his awesome gift, Mark got to pick the dinner of his choice. The menu included chorizo-stuffed mushrooms, mussels in white wine sauce, grilled veggies (artichokes, tomatoes, and asparagus) and a rhubarb pie. Everything turned out wondefully except the grilled artichokes--I just don't think I'm meant to make these--note the excessive char in the picture below. A meal fit for a king!

Mark, thanks for being the best husband and daddy two girls could ask for! Happy Father's Day!!!


It's on!

It's off!

Checking it out...

Chewing on the strap works for her...

Feast time!
(Perhaps I shouldn't have so prominently displayed the burnt-to-hell artichokes in this picture!)

I redeemed myself with the pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment