Monday, June 18, 2012

Who Knew Tide is Good for the Hair?

Well, Elaine had a pretty good weekend. A few tantrums, but mostly smiles and giggles and kisses for mom. Which is a good thing, because I had a rough time. Saturday I just didn't feel that great. Nothing serious, but I was low on energy and kinda' achy. Little did I know when I went to bed that I was going to be a whole lotta' achy on Sunday.

Lainey went to bed like a dream Saturday night, so I did a few chores, threw a load of laundry in the dryer and went to bed early, hoping to wake up refreshed in the morning. Ah, the best laid plans...

At 3:15am, I woke to Lainey's cries down the hall. So, I popped up and hustled down the dark hallway to her room. Unbeknownst to me, the full bottle of laundry detergent had fallen from its perch atop our dryer and cracked open, allowing a gallon of thick, slick soap to spread its way across the wood floor of our hallway. I became very aware of the situation when I became airborn and landed--HARD--flat on my back in the puddle of goo.

I was covered in the stuff and in more than a little pain. But, Lainey's cries had turned to frantic screams, so there was no time to wallow in my soap. Luckily, my load of freshly laundered towels were in the dryer, so I slipped and slid to my feet, stripped down and wrapped one towel around my body, another turban-style around my head and then headed in to tend to Lainey.

Usually a quick hug, a slow rock or two, and back to dream land she goes. Not this time. After 15 minutes, I realized I was going to have to put her down and just let her scream, so I could get in the shower and properly rinse.

Back down the hall I went trying to avoid the mess, trying to block out Lainey's screams, and trying to assess the damage to my body. I showered as quickly as possible (and for those who don't know--there is nothing quick about getting a quart of laundry detergent out of your hair), hoping Lainey wasn't rousing our neighbors with her cries. Freshly showered and in dry clothes, I was able to go back to my darling girl and soothe her. It was a process, but I finally got her peacefully sleeping at 4:30am.

Which let me begin the cleaning process!!! As I was on my hands and knees, wiping at the floor and praying the throbbing in my head would stop, I thought of Mark and how he was probably just climbing into bed after enjoying a lovely California wedding reception. I won't lie...I hated him just a little bit at that moment.

It only took about 20 minutes to get the situation in decent enough shape to return to bed and get an awesome hour of sleep before Lainey woke back up at 5:45am. Luckily, she had mercy on me and fell back to sleep next to me on the bed and stayed in blissful slumber until 7:30am--I can't remember the last time she slept past 6:30am. Her mercy continued throughout the day, as she mostly cooperated and entertained herself. I took a lot of Advil, wrapped myself frequently in heating pads, and counted my blessings that I hadn't seriously injured myself.

I feel worse today than yesterday, but am sure the bruises and muscles pains will start to ease by tomorrow. And thank goodness I have Mark back to help with the heavy lifting until I'm tip-top again.

On the bright side...my hair is very soft and shiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment