Monday, September 5, 2011

Girl and the Goat... FINALLY!

My parents are in town for the weekend, so Mark and I had a free night and FINALLY made it to Girl and the Goat for dinner! If you're a Top Chef fan, this is Season 4 winner, Stephanie Izard's, restaurant.

We had to go on the early side (5:30 PM) to make sure we could get a table, but we didn't mind. Honestly, even before we had Elaine, Mark and I tended to dine on the early side to avoid waiting for a table. As Mark says, "the food tastes the same at 6:00 PM as at 9:00 PM." We had a short 45-minute wait, which gave Mark time to try a signature cocktail (I was saving my drink allowance for dinner).

For those who haven't been to the restaurant (I think we may be the last of our Chicago friends to dine there), the menu is made up of small plates meant for sharing. I personally really love this style of restaurant, because you can try several different things.

We started with the Mr. Potato bread with leek butter and potato aioli. The leek butter was awesome, the aioli was so-so (at least for me). For our small plates, we had squash blossom rangoon (amazing!), goat empanadas, ham frites, and escargot ravioli (very rich, very tasty). For dessert, we chose the pork fat donuts. Everything was delicious, and we were stuffed by then end of the meal!

It was nice to be out as a couple, but I have to admit about 75% of our converstation revolved around Lainey, and we looked at her pictures on our phones more than a few times. But, I think that's okay...it just means we love our daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment