Wednesday, December 21, 2016

That's the way the cookie crumbles...

For those of you playing a very Brandi Christmas from home, we checked off tradition #3 this past weekend--making Christmas cookies! I decided to get adventurous and try a gingerbread house this year. That was an ill-fated decision for many reasons. First, the kids are nowhere near patient enough for such a project. Second, while the pattern was easy enough to follow, I didn't use a "gingerbread house" gingerbread recipe, but rather my tried and true recipe for cookies. What's the problem, you ask? Well, I like soft cookies, so my recipe produces cookies with a chew versus a snap--not the ideal building material. Third, while I was making Martha Stewart's "caramel glue" I decided I could multi-task and fold some laundry, answer a visitor at the door, and help Lainey spell words for her 1,237,895 Christmas card. I was wrong. I let it overheat and it turned from edible glue into a crystallized mess in my saucepan. Fine--who needs Stewart's caramel glue? We'll use tried and true royal icing. Now, the icing turned out just fine, but there really was nothing strong enough to reinforce the crumbling walls and roof. Womp, womp. I told the kids they could still eat the pieces, so they were cool with it. I even cut several squares out of the remnants for decorating. 

Maybe next year...
So, glad I salvaged some cookies from the ginger bread debris, because...

...about three cookies into decorating, I bumped the container with my elbow and sent three dozen sugar cookie cut-outs crashing to the floor. 

As Lainey is fond of saying, "oh, nuts!"


As you see in the faces above, they didn't take this mishap as well as the gingerbread house. But, they did eventually forgive me and we still had plenty of cookies to have fun decorating. It's just as well over half the cookies were destroyed, because Nick ate most of the frosting along the way. So much so that when we were done, and they were allowed to eat a cookie, he didn't even want one.

Our masterpieces
It's hard to believe we're just a few days away from Christmas Eve...and even harder to believe we're only a week-and-a-half away from 2017!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment