Saturday, May 14, 2016

Mother's Day 2016

Last weekend I made a quick trip to Ohio for Katie's baby shower. It was my first solo trip to Ohio in a looong time. As an added bonus, Chris randomly decided to make a trip back to D-town, so we got some great sibling bonding time. I can't even remember the last time just the two of us hung out together. We rifled through boxes of old pictures and reminisced about our childhood and our mom. It was especially nice, given the proximity of Mother's Day and Mom's birthday. I'm pretty lucky to have such a great brother, whom I can also call a friend. Thanks for the time, Chris!

The shower was fabulous! I enjoyed a yummy brunch, while leisurely sipping Sangria with my main girl, Meredith. No errands to run, no to do list on my mind, no kids to rush back to...just time with some great ladies, celebrating one our nearest and dearest and her adorable, round belly and the little baby boy inside. Congrats, Katie! I'll be on a flight back this summer to snuggle that little guy in my arms. 

Topping off the festivities of the weekend was some QT with Amanda, whom I also have not enjoyed one-on-one time with in ages and ages. But, as it is with true friends, it was as if we lived right down the street and saw each other every day. Old friends are like a blanket for my soul--warm and comforting. 

And in what felt like a blink of the eyes, it was Sunday morning and time to catch my flight home. While I enjoyed my 48-hour break, I was anxious to get back to my little monsters.  And what a welcome they gave me--laughing and running to the door, Nick shouting, "Happy Birthday, Mama!" Oh, Nick! Although I'll give him a pass on his confusion, because for my Mother's Day gift, they kids made me a beautiful cake! It glittered brighter than a jewelers case with an array of colored sprinkles and gel frosting. I loved it! 

Thanks to Frank and Lonnie for making a visit and helping Mark with the kids and the swim lesson shuffle on Saturday. It's was much easier to relax and enjoy knowing Mark had some help on the homefront. 

It's hard to believe it was only a week ago! After the week I've had, I'm already looking forward to my next trip! Vegas, anyone?

What brunch would be complete without faux mustaches?

"Prom Picture" with the glowing mama-to-be

Best cake ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment