Friday, February 20, 2015

These Two...

Lainey and Nick are melting me to a puddle these with their love for each other. They are full of hugs, kisses, and giggles these days. Tonight, when  I got to daycare, I could see them through the window hugging each other and laughing with their foreheads mashed together. So sweet!

Lainey calls Nick her "Lil Puppy," and he follows her around like one. If Nick wakes up before Lainey, he asks for her constantly and it's all I can do to keep him from climbing the stairs and charging into her room. The first hugs of the morning go to each other and there is usually the exchange of "I love you, Buddy;" "Love you, Lay-NEE," which just sends me to the moon. Sometimes Lainey is the only one who can comfort Nick. He was pouting about something the other night and wouldn't let me touch him, but Lainey came over, put her arm around him, and said, "It's okay. I'm here now." He leaned right against her and let her stroke his cheek for awhile. Then, just like that, everything was fine again. 

I'm not saying there isn't discord, they squabble and push as much as they giggle and hug. They're still siblings, after all. But, even that stuff makes me smile. It's funny how Lainey is truly turning into a big sister and is very directive and authoritative with Nick. She is constantly telling him what to do, and he'll follow pretty blindly. But, if she messes with his fun, he'll tell her "no" and hold his ground. The below is a common interaction these days:

Lainey snatches a toy from Nick
N: "NO! Big trouble, Lay-NEE. Time out." Points to chair.
E: "You're not the boss of me, Nick!"  

Even though they're fighting, this kind of stuff still slays me, it's so freaking adorable! (Well, really just Nick, scolding Lainey. Too cute.)

Who knows how their relationship will evolve over the years. I know plenty of adult siblings who can't stand each other. But, I hope--I really, really hope--that these two keep growing together and not apart.

The Inseparable Duo




No comments:

Post a Comment