Monday, September 14, 2015

Family Fall Festival

Yesterday morning, we hit up the Family Fall Festival at the Kohl’s Children’s Museum. When we first got there, I was a little underwhelmed, but it ending up being perfect. There were just the right amount of special attractions, and they didn’t oversell the event, so everyone was able to enjoy the train rides, petting zoo, and wagon rides without too much wait. Because we’re early birds, we were there right at 9am and able to do all the “festival” activities before the larger crowds arrived and then duck into the virtually empty museum, where the kids had unlimited access to all the exhibits and stations.

The petting zoo was the big hit! Lainey took some cajoling and had to be half-wrapped around me the entire time, but Nick was all about it, going from the goats to the pig to the sheep and chasing after the ducks (who were NOT all about it). The only animals neither one would pet were the rabbits—the most docile creatures in the place. My kids are strange sometimes. I have to say, Mark and I thoroughly enjoyed it ourselves, and I thought to myself, “This is one of the perks of having kids.” Imagine if I just sauntered solo into a petting zoo? I’d probably get some strange looks. If Mark did it, they’d probably call the police. But, really, why should the petting of baby farm animals be restricted to small children or those with small children in tow. Couldn’t we all use a little nuzzle from a baby goat now and again?

Nick was too impatient to wait for the wagon ride, but Lainey and I rode and got prime seats up front. Lainey was very impressed with the horses braided tail. After the ride, we hit up the little carnival games and then enjoyed the replica Whole Foods and Potbelly inside the museum. Those two stations are usually PACKED, but there were only two or three kids this time, allowing Mark and I to just sit and relax instead of playing referee over toy shopping carts and sandwich parts.

Of course, playing at fake Potbelly led to a craving for the REAL Potbelly, and also provided a great incentive to get the kids off to lunch with no tantrums—MILKSHAKES!!! The shakes may have been the highlight of the entire morning. I wish I had captured the look of pure bliss on Nick’s face after his first slurp. It was almost like we’d just hit him with a dose of morphine. He just sank back in his chair with a happy sigh, his eyes half-closed, and a big smile on his face. I feel you, Nick; those shakes are the best!


Good stuff for a Sunday morning! Enjoy the pictures!

Train ride fun!

Hanging with the other "kids" 
Oooo! Sheep!
Her first animal contact!
Not a great picture--had to take a selfie, because Lainey wouldn't let go of my neck.

Getting braver for the baby goats
Trying for the ducks

Get your shake on!



No comments:

Post a Comment