Friday, July 10, 2015

4th of July - Quad Cities Style

We celebrated the 4th in Moline with fireworks, a boat ride, food, sparklers and best of all--FAMILY!

Lainey and Nick got their first fireworks show this year. They loved them! No fear, no crying. Nick did stick his fingers in his ears for a little bit, but that was it. And by being in Moline, we were relieved of all the crowd-related stress we would have faced around here. We had plenty of lawn space for the kids to run around while waiting for nightfall and escaping the parking lot after was no worse than a Saturday afternoon visit to Target. Perfection!

Saturday Captain Uncle Tim treated us to a cruise on the boat, and we took a dip in the Mississippi River. I wasn't expecting a boat outing to be on the agenda, and while I had thought ahead to bring suits for the kids in case of any sprinkler action, I did not bring ours. It wasn't until we were on the boat that it occurred to me that we could have stopped by Target to pick some up. In the end, I couldn't stand not getting in the water, so Mark and I swam in our clothes. YOLO! (Side note: that's my first time using that acronym--am I old or just respectful of the English language? To save those of you who still may not be hip to the lingo, I'll save you the embarrassement of asking your younger co-worker or the trip to Urban Dictionary: YOLO = You Only Live Once.)

It was questionable if Lainey and I would even be partaking in the boat ride. She was super pumped all morning until we actually got to the boat, at which point she freaked out. She had fallen asleep on the car ride over and waking Lainey from a nap and then introducing her to a new experience has never been a recipe for success. Also, I stuck my foot in my mouth when putting on her life jacket. She was resistent to do so, and instead of just insisting, I said, "you need it in case you fall in the water." Slick move, eh? She clung to me for life the entire ride out to where we docked. The water was pretty choppy at parts and we bounced around quite a bit, so that didn't soothe her anxiety. But, she made it through! I just wished she'd had more fun with it. She did enjoy the ride back, however, and even lifted her head to check out the passing scenery. Nick on the other hand fell asleep on both legs of the trip.

In between all of our adventures, we got in lots of family time and the kids had so much fun playing with their cousins. Per usual, Lainey's asks every day when we can go back. It was a truly fabulous weekend! So happy we were able to get the whole crew together after missing our usual spring gathering. We even managed a family photo where EVERYONE is looking at the camera with eyes open. Amazing!


What a fine looking family!







Fun on the Mississippi


1 comment: