Sunday, March 22, 2015

Two Trips Around the Sun

Reach for it, Nick!
 
Today our little Nicholas celebrated his second birthday! In the words of Laineybug, "Hubbawha??!!" In my mind, he's still just a baby--even as he becomes harder to carry and begins to speak in sentences, I still want to reach for a bottle and cradle him in my arms.

We celebrated Nick's birthday yesterday with Grandpa Anderson, Sharon, Uncle Chris, and Grandma Brandi via Skype (seriously, how wonderful is it that we can share moments like these in real time even when we can't be together physically ?) I'm really glad we decided to do the party a day early, because Nick got several outside toys and while the weather was relatively nice on Saturday, the temperatures dropped a bit today. Nick loved his cake (of course) and made the bold choice to eat it using his dinosaur instead of a fork. The dinosaurs were intended as a cake topper, but Lainey found them on the counter right before the cake reveal and gave them to Nick--he wasn't so keen on handing them back over. This was a "let it go" moment. I couldn't see the reasoning in making him cry, just so I could present a less lame cake. Especially when it was his party and he could care less what the cake looked like.

As far as gifts, Nick made out like a bandit. Lainey opened more of his presents than he did, but he didn't seem to mind. Uncle Chris made quite the splash with a Millenium Falcon, which Nick has played with pretty much non-stop. Grandpa and Sharon spoiled as always with a basketball hoop, t-ball set, foam blocks, and a toddler flashlight. We brought up the rear with a new tricycle. We were smarter this time around and got one with the steering handle that allows you push your tot, if they give up on the pedaling. He loved it!

Oh Nick, I love you so much. Even when you shun me and favor your Daddy, I don't hold a grudge. You can ignore me for days, and I'll still scoop you up and give you hugs and kisses whenever, wherever. I know I need to soak up all your sweet cuddles now, because some day I'm going to get a roll of the eyes and an armless lean in when I go to hug you. And I promise not to hold a grudge then either (or at least I'll try not to)--it's all a part of growing up. For now, I'll treasure every slobbery kiss and full body, knock-me-over, bear hug you give. You are the sweetest little boy and more wonderful than I could ever have hoped. You make every single day a little brighter just by being part of this world. Happy Birthday, Little Buddy! I can't wait to watch you grow (just not so fast, okay?)!


In addition to not giving up the dinosaur, he wasn't too keen on sharing the cake either.
Good thing I had cupcakes for everyone else
!







No comments:

Post a Comment